The WA Health Libraries Network has a single user login to Australian Standards Online, accessed via SAI Global. You may gain access to the site from the link below but if the licence is in use, you will not be able to download until the previous person logs out. You can check status from the top menu item called 'Tools', then 'Current licence usage'.
Critical information to know before you start
- When you click to open / download a standard, you will be prompted to register as an individual. Be aware that confirmation emails to complete registration may end up in your junk email folder.
- A FileOpen plugin is required to read a downloaded standard. The FileOpen plugin should be deployed to all EMHS and SMHS PCs. If not, you will need to log an IT service call to get it installed. At FSH, if you have a thin client PC, the FileOpen plug in cannot be installed. Instead you will have to contact ICT and have them add your he number to allow the virtual desktop to use he plug in.
- Once downloaded, a standard can be opened on only one computer – not one at a time, but just one computer.
- Although you can download the Standards in pdf format, the downloaded copies are encoded with a predetermined expiry date, after which they cease to be accessible. You either need to log back in to view the standard as you need it and / or print off a copy (but remember to check your print copy is still the most current version).
- International standards that are unlocked do not remain available indefinitely. They have a predetermined expiry date after which they need to be repurchased. You can see the list of those that have been added to the standard licence by clicking on the link called "My International Standards List" towards the top of the page. It is important to print off any that you rely on and check back to see if the version you have printed remains the most current version.
- Please logout once you have found what you need so others may gain access.
- See the Department of Health Library's guide if you need more detailed information.
Click on this link for access. The login credentials needed are pre-populated - just click 'Submit' to get in.
What's covered by the licence?
Australian standards are available, however the online site also references other international standards from organisations such as
AAMI - Association for Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
ANSI - American National Standards Institute
ISO - International Organization for Standardization.
These online standards are 'locked' unless an additional purchase is made. The cost to unlock them is charged back to the part of WA Health that requires access.
When you click 'Request Unlock' you will need to fill in some details and then hit 'Submit Form'. The request will be sent to the SMHS Library to organise the purchase. Costs will be generally be charged to the department making the request. Approval is required from the head of department and the relevant business manager (and the cost centre is required) but the Library staff can organise the payment and alert you when it is available.